XML size (was: no subject)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
07 Apr 2002 12:14:36 -0400

Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 10:02, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > To what "ACID" test do you refer?
>
> It's a standard test for RDBMSes.  Here's a basic breakdown of what it
> means:
> Atomicity - each transaction is treated as an all-or-nothing action
> Consistency - data must always be logically correct
> Isolation - each transaction is separate from other transactions
> Durability - modifications to the database will remain persistent after
> a system failure

Thanks.. Too bad it's so early in the day -- that means I wont
get the chance to learn anything ELSE new this day... ;)

On a more serious note, I have no particular preference to what DBMS
system I use.  My requirements are:

 - portable database files, meaning you can use the same on-disk
   format on different hosts, different byte-orders, etc without a
   dump/restore operation.

 - embedded server, meaning there is a library that an application can
   link against which supplies the SQL server, so you don't need to
   run an additional SQL database server process.

There might be other side requirements, but these are the two major
ones.  AFAIK, Postgres does not meet the second.  I would be glad
to be proved wrong.

Also note that whatever happens with the embedded front, I do not
think anyone is contemplating the removal of the (existing) postgres
backend.