Book clsoing [was: Re: Addition of HBCI support, Maturity of 1.7-branch, next stable release time frame?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
15 Apr 2002 21:39:52 -0400

David Hampton <hampton@employees.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 18:02, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> >
> > However, any report that shows ROI or uses a FIFO to calculate
> > profit/loss will have to look at old/closed books to figure out what
> > the original purchase price was.  That's the bad news.  The good news is
> > I don't think we have any FIFO-based reports in gnucash yet.  :-)
>
> A capital gains report for stock transactions is on my to-do list.  I
> guess I'll wait for your book closing changes to go in before I start.

We might want to think about how such a report would work and interact
with books.  It may require some changes to how stock accounts are
actually copies across books.

Perhaps if a stock/mutual-fund account has a non-zero balance across a
book change we might need extra information to maintain basis
information.  Note that part of the reason to use books was to be able
to reduce the file sizes -- if you need old books open to perform a
cap-gains report, I think that fails the simplicity test.

So, yes should probably really think about how this is going to work.