Book clsoing [was: Re: Addition of HBCI support, Maturity of 1.7-branch, next stable release time frame?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:39:07 -0500

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 08:36:26PM -0500, Linas Vepstas was heard to remark:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 06:26:50PM -0700, David Hampton was heard to remark:
> > On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 18:02, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > >
> > > However, any report that shows ROI or uses a FIFO to calculate
> > > profit/loss will have to look at old/closed books to figure out what
> > > the original purchase price was.  That's the bad news.  The good news is
> > > I don't think we have any FIFO-based reports in gnucash yet.  :-)
> >
> > A capital gains report for stock transactions is on my to-do list.  I
> > guess I'll wait for your book closing changes to go in before I start.
>
> No, that would be a bad idea. All of the book closing changes done so
> far are in CVS.  Adding the rest are deep on my back-burner at the
> moment.  Its highly unlikely that I'll be doing more in the next few
> months.
>
> Besides, I'm hopeful that the remaining changes can be done
> (mostly) transparently as far as any individual report is concnerned.
> At most, there would be a 'global' choice that asks, 'should this report
> span multiple (closed) books?' but the report code itself shouldn't
> wouldn't need to know that it was spanning multiple books.

I guess I contradicted myself.  Reports that do ROI/cap gains, etc.
will *not* need to do anything special to access closed books (I hope).
It'll happen automagically under the covers (i hope).

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>