Book clsoing [was: Re: Addition of HBCI support, Maturity of 1.7-branch, next stable release time frame?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:36:26 -0500

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 06:26:50PM -0700, David Hampton was heard to remark:
> On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 18:02, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> >
> > However, any report that shows ROI or uses a FIFO to calculate
> > profit/loss will have to look at old/closed books to figure out what
> > the original purchase price was.  That's the bad news.  The good news is
> > I don't think we have any FIFO-based reports in gnucash yet.  :-)
>
> A capital gains report for stock transactions is on my to-do list.  I
> guess I'll wait for your book closing changes to go in before I start.

No, that would be a bad idea. All of the book closing changes done so
far are in CVS.  Adding the rest are deep on my back-burner at the
moment.  Its highly unlikely that I'll be doing more in the next few
months.

Besides, I'm hopeful that the remaining changes can be done
(mostly) transparently as far as any individual report is concnerned.
At most, there would be a 'global' choice that asks, 'should this report
span multiple (closed) books?' but the report code itself shouldn't
wouldn't need to know that it was spanning multiple books.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>