[Fwd: Gnu reports.]

Brian Francois brian@sphinx.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:46:44 -0700

--------------AFA5E6B0D7BF30EB6D76114E

Couple of suggestions

As you can see I first sent this to Robert Merkel and he has deferred
here.

-brian
--------------AFA5E6B0D7BF30EB6D76114E

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:43:57 +1000
To: Brian Francois <brian@irisfinancial.com>
Subject: Re: Gnu reports.
From: Robert Graham Merkel <rgmerk@mira.net>

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 06:31:05PM -0700, Brian Francois wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> You may not be the right guy, but I am sure you know who is.  I have a
> suggestion for improving, I think, the Investment Portfolio report.
> (Really several suggestions).
>
> I notice when I run "Investment Portfolio" under Reports->Assets &
> Liabilities that all holdings of all accounts are listed.
>
> Suggestion #1
>   Don't show those holdings with zero shares.  Seeing all that data
> really is just noise and makes reviewing the data that much more
> cumbersome.
>
> I have also noticed that the report runs down a list of each account.
>
> Suggestion #2
> Since the listing is by account why not list the account before/after
> each section and show the total of the account.  Also it would be nice
> to see the percentage of the account each holding comprises.
>
> Suggestion #3
> Another nice way to organize this page is show the holdings as if from a
> single Portfolio.  By that I mean compress all holdings of Schwab Money
> Market Fund (for example) across all portfolios into a single entry,
> same for all other holdings.  In this case the report would want to
> create an account called "Combined Portfolios" or something.  It would
> also be nice if a click of the mouse would expand/contract the values
> that are actually a composite, showing which protfolio/account the
> holding comes from, the amount and possibly the percentage.  (i.e. In
> account A there is SWMXX = $100.00, in B there is $800.00 in C there is
> $100.00.  This would show an entry of SWMX 1000 shares $1/share $1000.00
> value.  Expanding it would then show
> Account A SWMXX 100 shares 10%
> Account B SWMXX 800 shares 80%
> Account C SWMXX 100 shares 10%)
>

> I think it would be nice to have both.  I also believe the module that
> is used for suggestion #3 could be used to handle the entire report, the
> account data would simply need to be extracted and placed in a temporary
> file first.

I'm no longer actively involved in GnuCash development (at least until
my thesis is done :)).

Your suggestions, which at first glance make good sense, would best be
taken to the gnucash development mailing list.  They don't look overly
hard to implement either - just a bit of extra coding using the existing
infrastructure.

The details on the mailing lists are at:

http://www.gnucash.org/en/lists.phtml

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Node FLY on Melbourne Wireless : http://www.wireless.org.au

--------------AFA5E6B0D7BF30EB6D76114E--