Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 03:01:51 -0600

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 05:40:53PM +0900, Reinke Bonte was heard to remark:
> Okay, forget the idea. I was too naive.
>
> I just thought the idea of sending cash in an envelope to an individual
> developer is even stranger. That is probably because I'm not used to
> writing and sending checks, when I pay for something remotely, I usually
> remit money

The reason that paypal exists is because in the US, there is no
(other) practical way of electronically remitting a small amount
from one individual to another.

> Maybe I can change myself and send a Christmas card this year. If you
> know anyone who is interested in Japanese yen please give me his or her
> address.

Hmm Maybe to the Japanese translators.  They should be credited in
the AUTHORS file ...

Even if there was an incorporated entity, there still would be no
easy way of depositing Yen.  There are few banks that handle foreign
exchange, and the fees tend to be prohibititive ($10 or $20 or
more),  thus wiping out the gift.   The only practical way of doing
conversion is to have the donor's credit card agency perform the
conversion (which is why paypal is appealing).

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>