Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:11:28 +0100

Reinke Bonte wrote:

> Moreover, giving money to an individual developer would make me feel bad
> about the others. I don't even know who developed which feature. I would
> prefer if there was a way to pay money for a newly developed feature
> instead.

Actually I don't think this is too much of a problem.  It's up to the
person giving the gift to not give $1000 to one individual but rather
$20 to a number of different individuals -- and that amount of money is
nothing that one has to feel bad about when receiving it.

Also, I think it is not a good idea to couple donations and *features*.
Often enough, even developers can't tell who developed which feature.
Additionally, if a particular developer decides to start working on a
particular feature, it is not at all clear whether he will actually
finish that feature -- or whether he will simply stop in the middle of
the work, or whether somebody else will finish it or whatever.

Therefore I rather agree with cbbrowne's point of view: If you as a user
like the application as-is, and want to give an amount of money, then
just pick your favorite developer and give him a gift -- and that's it.
There's no obligation involved here: neither for you (like being forced
to give money), nor for the developer (like being forced to implement a
particular feature). Instead, the gift simply expressed you appreciation
for the work that the developer already has invested in the application.
And that's it.

Christian