Gnucash Foundation

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 00:54:28 +0100

On Freitag, 6. Dezember 2002 21:11, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> I'll probably set up a c2it.com donation jar.
>
> Question: should I *also* set up a paypal jar?

Wouldn't hurt, probably. Also, for a number of countries paypal is probably
the cheapest alternative to transfer money from and to (e.g. US <-> Germany).

> With e.g. cstim's help, could we set up a tip jar in Germany, for
> European donors?

If requested, I can open a specific bank account (EUR 4 monthly fee though). A
German bank account then can receive money from inside Germany for virtually
zero transaction fee.

BUT: What is going to happen with that tip jar? Who's going to do the
accounting, and with which software (joking). What is the money going to be
used for? Who decides this?

> > Anyway. In cbbrowne's proposed Gift exchange registry
> > http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/fssp.html this would already be
>
> Although I like the 'christmas card' idea,  I have already had one
> developer write back to state that they would not want thier home
> street address on a web page.  I had a potential donor write back
> stating they werre uncomfortable with donating to an individual,
> because they don't really know the extent of thier contribution,
> nor have they previously had (email) contact with the developers in
> question, and was in general too embarassed to write to ask for a
> street address.
>
> Thus, while I like the 'christmas card' idea, and want to try it in
> time for this christmas, (send me your street addresses please), its
> clear that it has its own set of problems.

Street address http://info.cstim.de

I'm a bit afraid that it's not really a good decision-making process if we
argue "one person objected this or that". There are good reasons for every
possible model, so we should collect the reasons, and then find a decision
which the majority is happy with. So far I'm not convinced how this tip-jar
donation model is supposed to work -- whereas I'm quite convinced how the
christmas-card-style donation model is supposed to work. Did I miss the point
where arguments have been mentioned that clearly showed how one model is
superior than the other?

As for tip-jar, I would be fine if Linas does the accounting of the tip jar,
but that still leaves the question open on who's going to decide what to do
with that.

> > Instead the distribution of tips between developers is already done by
> > each patron him/herself, but cbbrowne's central Gift Exchange Registry
> > helps everyone to keep track of who contributes anything and who
> > recieves anything.
>
> Except that cbrowne's scripts are pre-alpha, and need a lot of work.
> You aren't, uhh, volunteering to do this work?

No I'm not volunteering to do this work. Oh, if it is alpha and he isn't going
to work on this anytime soon, then of course it's not an option.

Christian