Gnucash Foundation

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:31:44 -0600

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 03:20:27PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
>
> > Question: should I *also* set up a paypal jar?  (I am leary, because
> > of all the bad things that happen w/ paypal; but by not having one,
> > are we missing potential contributions?  Is it worth the heartache?)
>
> Personally I've never had (or been involved in) a problem with PayPal.
> The real issue is that you get charged for CreditCard transfers.  Cash
> transfers are free.  I don't see the harm in setting up an account.
> The worst thing that happens is nobody uses it?

The worst thing that happens is that not only can all of the money
in a paypal account get drained away, fraudulently, but also all
of the money in an associated bank account (i.e. the bank account to
which paypal funds have been transfered in the past).   There are
several documented instances of this, and legal recourse has proven
futile.  That is why using paypal is scary: the damage is *not*
limited to the paypal account.

(google: paypal fraud, scam, ripoff)

--linas

--