more importer proposals

Benoit Grégoire bock@step.polymtl.ca
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:33:34 -0500

>there are still some things that have yet to be fixed: The account
>matcher/picker still doesn't show an initial selection if the selected
>account is level-3 or higher (subaccount of a subaccount of a toplevel

Humm, the account was indeed selected, but the expand tree return value didn't
propagate up to the root of the tree.  Should be fixed in CVS now.

>account). This needs to be fixed. The column headings "A" and ... (forgot the
>other) need to be i18n'd as well, but anyway I would prefer to have full
>words in them. I'm also not really happy with the wording of the 'import
>action' field since it shows a whole lot of information lumped together in
>one sentence, but I need to think&test that more.
>
> Now my point is that the name of this column heading should match the
> *text* in the "Action" column. Currently the text in the action column, for
> a new transaction that is to be added, reads "New, ...". We/you should
> either switch to the word "New" everywhere, or the word "Add" everywhere.
> Actually I would rather propose to use the word "New" everywhere. In this
> case, the column with the check mark would have simply have the heading
> "New". The action text remains as it is now. And for the "reconcile", I
> would propose to write the full word even in the check mark column:
> "Reconcile". FTR, in the German translation I will have to write the full
> words in the heading anyway, because Germans don't use abbreviations as
> much as English-speaking people do.
>
> What do you think? If you agree, then please go ahead and change it in the
> code. (After all, that's your code, so I'll rather leave it up to you to
> change anything in that... *grin* )

The one letter columns are the result of a discussion with Wilddev.  The
rationale is that we really have a screen real-estate problem (for 800x600
screens at least) when the account column is displayed (such as with OFX).
The last column has really important information, but may get cut-off if the
screen is too small.  This is the rationale for the "A" (Maybe should be "N")
and "R" columns, taking real-estate just for the header was unfortunate, and
would get worse with some (most?) translation (In french, the shortest I can
think of is "Nouveau" and "Réconcilier").  So we tought of the one letter and
a legend idea.  The "Imbalance" column also disapeared and the info was added
to the last column when appropriate.

One solution would be to put the last 3 columns at the begining, but that
would break an important rules of interface design: The user should read left
to right.

I am still hoping to find some kind of a better solution however.  As for all
the info in the last column, Wilddev and I changed it like 5 times, but I
think we are both not yet completely satisfied.  One thing for sure, whatever
we do, the 7 possibilities of the last column are going to be hard to
translate.  I am listing them here in the hope there will be some suggestions
for wording:

- "New, already balanced"
- (Button pixmap) "New, transfer to (manual) \"%s\"" <- String is the
destination account for the auto-balance split
- (Button pixmap) "New, transfer to (auto) \"%s\"" <- String is the
destination account for the auto-balance split
- (Button pixmap) "New, UNBALANCED (need acct to transfer %s)!" <- String is
the transaction imbalance
- (selected match score pixmap) "Reconcile (manual) match"
- (selected match score pixmap) "Reconcile (auto) match"
- (score 0 pixmap) "Match missing!" <- When reconcile is selected but user
selected no match
- (best match score pixmap) "Do not import (no action selected)" <- When skip
is selected or upon inconclusive match

Here is what it currently looks like:
http://libofx.sourceforge.net/matcher.png
--