German users: Call for help on documentation translation

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:41:32 +0100

Dear German users,

The GnuCash Help Manual has recently been updated and put into good shape by
Chris Lyttle. Of course everything is in English so far... so if we want to
provide some German help manual, we will need to do some translation work
here. I would like to kindly ask any German readers on this list to consider
working on some parts of the help manual. Here's how:

Just checkout the gnucash-docs module from the CVS server, by issuing the
command
cvs -d :pserver:cvs@cvs.gnucash.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot checkout gnucash-docs
More on CVS usage can be read on http://www.gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml .

You need the scrollkeeper package installed for this module, as well as
doctools, libxml2, libxslt. More about requirements and installation
procedures can be read in the README and HACKING file in that module.

In the subdirectory help/de_DE/, you find the big xml file
help/de_DE/gnucash.xml . So far this is simply a copy of the english manual,
with the very first lines translated into German. I would kindly ask German
people here to maybe translate a few subsections. Every updated version can
simply be sent to me, as one gzip'd file. If you want to discuss any issues
in German, feel free tot write to the mailing list gnucash-devel@gnucash.org
even in German, but please start your subject line with the words "German
translators: ..."

More information on how to handle the file format follow below:

On Montag, 23. Dezember 2002 02:04, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> I have actually been using OpenOffice to edit the text combined with Vim
> to touch it up. Most of the people in the gnome docs project use Emacs
> with the docbook extension to edit the docs. The process I go through to
> make the docs is kinda like this;
> 1) Edit the doc in OpenOffice, this requires you to use a specific set
> of Styles that equate to docbook.
> 2) Use a special addon package to OO to export (with java) to docbook
> XML.
> 3) Touch up the resulting output xml file to remove extra bits and add
> missing tags, etc.
> 4) Test with xmllint and repeat touch up if necessary till it validates.
>
> As you see its a little involved, but now that I have it working it
> doesn't take a lot of time. I think from now on the tweak to this I'll
> use is to just diff the output docbook from OO to the CVS version of the
> help and add the changes that way.
>
> General docs advice in this message;
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2002-December/007642.html

And some advice specifically about German translations can be found in the
"gnome-i18n" CVS module on the Gnome CVS server. Follow the instructions
provided on http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html and checkout that
module by
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome checkout gnome-i18n
One German Style Guide ("Übersetzungs-Richtlinie") by Sun can be found in the
de/ subdirectory of that module, and another Gnome-specific style guide can
be found in de/docs/gnome-de.sgml. Also, that module contains a glossary of
general english terms in glossary/de.po . Note that GnuCash also contains a
glossary of financial terms in its main CVS module in po/glossary/de.po.

If anybody needs some more help to setup this system, don't hesitate to ask
for that here on this mailing list.

And finally Happy Holiday to everyone :-)

Christian Stimming