German users: Call for help on documentation translation

Stephan Budach budy@stephanbudach.de
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:52:02 +0100

=0D
Hi Christian,=0D
=0D
I have compiled and installed the gnucash manual for 1.7.6, but it  =0D
seems that I am unable to reach it from within Gnucash itself. When I  =0D
hit Help from the Help menu, it simply shows me an error page, as it  =0D
did before I installes the docs. Are there any other parameters to  =0D
edit, so that Gnucash will find its help files?=0D
=0D
It seems that the helo files where installed onto the following path:=0D
=0D
/usr/local/share/gnome/help/gnucash/de_DE/...=0D
=0D
I would happily try to contribute to the german translation, but it  =0D
would be helpful, if my wife (who=B4s been an accountant for a long time)  =
=0D
could reach this help from within gnucash.=0D
=0D
Besides this, I do like 1.7.6 much better than 1.7.5.=0D
=0D
Regards,=0D
Stephan=0D
=0D
=0D
Am Montag, 23.12.02, um 13:41 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Christian  =0D
Stimming:=0D
=0D
> [...]
>> I have actually been using OpenOffice to edit the text combined with  =
=0D
>> Vim=0D
>> to touch it up. Most of the people in the gnome docs project use Emacs=
=0D
>> with the docbook extension to edit the docs. The process I go through  =
=0D
>> to=0D
>> make the docs is kinda like this;=0D
>> 1) Edit the doc in OpenOffice, this requires you to use a specific set=
=0D
>> of Styles that equate to docbook.=0D
>> 2) Use a special addon package to OO to export (with java) to docbook=0D
>> XML.=0D
>> 3) Touch up the resulting output xml file to remove extra bits and add=
=0D
>> missing tags, etc.=0D
>> 4) Test with xmllint and repeat touch up if necessary till it  =0D
>> validates.=0D
>>=0D
>> As you see its a little involved, but now that I have it working it=0D
>> doesn't take a lot of time. I think from now on the tweak to this I'll=
=0D
>> use is to just diff the output docbook from OO to the CVS version of  =
=0D
>> the=0D
>> help and add the changes that way.=0D
>>=0D
>> General docs advice in this message;=0D
>> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2002-December/ =0D
>> 007642.html=0D
>=0D
> And some advice specifically about German translations can be found in  =
=0D
> the=0D
> "gnome-i18n" CVS module on the Gnome CVS server. Follow the  =0D
> instructions=0D
> provided on http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html and checkout that=
=0D
> module by=0D
> cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome checkout  =0D
> gnome-i18n=0D
> One German Style Guide ("=DCbersetzungs-Richtlinie") by Sun can be found =
 =0D
> in the=0D
> de/ subdirectory of that module, and another Gnome-specific style  =0D
> guide can=0D
> be found in de/docs/gnome-de.sgml. Also, that module contains a  =0D
> glossary of=0D
> general english terms in glossary/de.po . Note that GnuCash also  =0D
> contains a=0D
> glossary of financial terms in its main CVS module in  =0D
> po/glossary/de.po.=0D
>=0D
> If anybody needs some more help to setup this system, don't hesitate  =0D
> to ask=0D
> for that here on this mailing list.=0D
>=0D
> And finally Happy Holiday to everyone :-)=0D
- - --Stephan Budach=0D
=0D
Jung von Matt/Services=0D
=0D
Glash=FCttenstrasse 38   			20357 Hamburg=0D
Telefon: +49-40-4321-1353		Fax: +49-40-4321-1114=0D
eMail: stephan.budach@jvm.de	Internet: http://www.jvm.de=0D
=0D
PGP Fingerprint: 507F 415D B3B5 6533 F337 9B6F BD1D CA07 5C10 24E9=0D