GnuCash 1.7.5 never displays

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
28 Dec 2002 21:43:14 -0500

    Conrad> On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 10:32, Derek Atkins wrote:
    >> You should not need to update guile..  I'm running guile 1.3.4 and
    >> it works just fine for me.
    >> -derek

    Conrad> I'm assuming Roland started by trying to install the
    Conrad> binary package built by Wilddev, in which case the guile
    Conrad> and guppi dependencies will be whatever Wilddev had
    Conrad> installed when he built that package (apparently guile 1.4
    Conrad> and guppi 0.40). That is the only reason I can see why
    Conrad> anything would be saying guile and guppi needed upgrading
    Conrad> over a stock RH7.2.

Actually, the binary package did NOT say I needed to upgrade the
packages.  That was part of the mystery.  It installed clean; g-wrap
1.3.2 and gnucash 1.7.5.  But NOTHING ever displayed.  That lead me to
go the other route of upgrading guile and Guppi which then did require
rebuilding the gnucash RPM.

    Conrad> In this case, just building from source without upgrading
    Conrad> those packages would also havw worked. When building from
    Conrad> source, whatever the standard guile and guppi packages on
    Conrad> RH7.2 will be sufficient. Only g-wrap needs to be
    Conrad> upgraded.

When I tried that, I got the same results.  gnucash would start, but
never display a GUI.  Here is what I got when I ran gnucash --debug

    308 roland> gnucash --debug
    gnucash: [D] "files to open: "()

    This is a development version. It may or may not work.
    Report bugs and other problems to gnucash-devel@gnucash.org.
    The last stable version was GnuCash 1.6.8
    The next stable version will be GnuCash 1.8.0

    Terminated

The last line comes when I grow impatient and kill it a few minutes
later.  I next try the following:

    309 roland> gnucash --debug stuff/gnucash/gnucash.data
    gnucash: [D] "handling arg ""stuff/gnucash/gnucash.data"
    gnucash: [D] "non-option ""stuff/gnucash/gnucash.data"", assuming file"
    gnucash: [D] "files to open: "("stuff/gnucash/gnucash.data")

    This is a development version. It may or may not work.
    Report bugs and other problems to gnucash-devel@gnucash.org.
    The last stable version was GnuCash 1.6.8
    The next stable version will be GnuCash 1.8.0

    Terminated

Ditto on the wait, it is several minutes (yes, I checked the wall
clock to be sure I wasn't simply impatient).

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court