gnome help browser [was Re: Request for delaying stable release: Multi-currency code stillnot mature enough

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
31 Dec 2002 10:59:03 -0500

wsheldahl@qx.net writes:

> Just to be clear, I was referring to this statement from
> http://lexingtonhelpwanted.com: "The majority of the GnuCash 1.6.x
> dependencies are satisfied by installing standard Gnome 1.4 core
> libraries. The only dependencies beyond a standard Gnome 1.4
> installation are Guppi, Guile, slib and G-Wrap."

It is not a question of what User Interface is running (indeed,
I run GnuCash "from" vtwm.gamma, which is my window manager/UI).
The issue is what libraries are installed.

"Gnome-1.4" has a very concise meaning.  It's a conglomerate of a
dozen or two sets of packages, all of which need to be installed to
get Gnucash to work.

Does this mean you need to be running Sawfish or Enlightenment or some
other Gnome-UI Window Manager?  No, of course not.  You don't even
need it installed.  However you DO need all the supporting libraries
that come from having a the gnome-ui installed.

> I understand the advantages of using Gnome and Gtk libraries and so
> on. I'm not suggesting that stop. I'm just hoping that it won't
> become significantly more difficult for us non-Gnome users to
> continue using this great financial application.

The problem is that someone running on a KDE-based system does not
have the gnome libraries installed.  That means they need to pull
down, perhaps compile, and install a metric buttload of packages in
order to get Gnucash working on their "non-gnome" system.  This can
never change as long as gnucash remains a "gnome app."