QIF import problems (fwd)

Derek Atkins gnucash-devel@gnucash.org
06 Feb 2002 11:28:21 -0500

--=-=-=

Please be sure to CC the list on all responses....

-derek

PS: The documentation to which I refered is part of the QIF
import process.  The druid itself has embedded documentation
explaining what it is doing.  However I admit that that documentation
is unclear to someone who doesn't know what is going on.

--=-=-=

From: Fabien COELHO <fabien@coelho.net>
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: QIF import problems

--===-=-=

Hi Derek,

> > 1/ 2 digit year in date format
>
> The QIF importer should be able to handle a two-digit year.  It will
> ask you to help it, but it should work just fine.
>
> > 2/ plus sign in total amount format
>
> Yea, I can see this being a problem, but shouldn't be too hard to fix.
> Could you send along (to the list) an example QIF file (with names and
> values changed if you prefer) that shows these two bugs?

Please find it attached.

> [...]
>
> I think this is more of a documentation confusion than anything else.
> What this is really asking is "this QIF file is a list of transactions
> from/to some QIF account X.  What Gnucash account matches this QIF
> account?"
>
> This stage is _REALLY_ just a hint to the importer.  Later on in the
> process you _DO_ get the an account-picker dialog and the chance to
> create new accounts.

Maybe. I must admit that I did not actually read the documentation,
but I guess that this kind of software should be pretty intuitive and
not misleading in anyway.

Thanks for your reply, have a nice day,

--
Fabien COELHO   _____   fabien@coelho.net   _____   http://www.coelho.net