Line Graphs and Reports

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
16 Feb 2002 23:45:05 -0800

--=-7YuFcYh2eUDRJAud32G6

On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 10:28, Michael T. Garrison Stuber wrote:
> Greetings!
>=20
> 	I am interesting in writing a (small) family of reports to track
> investments.  One of the critical needs for what I want to do is a line
> graph.  I've been studying the current reporting architecture and trying
> to understand it.  If I understand things correctly, GnuCash has
> implemented its own Scheme wrappers around Guppi, and Guppi provides the=20
> graphing functionality.  Is this correct?

Sort of. We use Guppi to graph, but guppi is not called from scheme
directly. Scheme data describing the graphs is passed to C routines
in src/gnome/*guppi*. But a number of other C functions are wrapped
and used directly in Scheme. See the *-spec.scm wrapping descriptions
in the various directories.

> I need several pointers to come up to speed:
>=20
> (1)	Can somebody explain (or point me to an explanation) of how Scheme=20
> and C interact?  It's pretty clear in the code that certain Scheme file=20
> connect to certain C files, but I'm still confused on the mechanics.

Study the -spec files to understand the connection between scheme
routines and C routines.

> (2)	Is there a decent explanation on Guppi out there?  The=20
> documentation is pretty form of the include files at this point.  I tried=
=20
> searching for FAQ but couldn't find one.  While I understand that I can=20
> always read the source, I'm still trying to wrap my head around GnuCash,=20
> so if there's a "this is what this call does, and here's how you use it"=20
> document out there, I'd appreciate a link.

I don't think there's much documentation on using Guppi.

dave

--=-7YuFcYh2eUDRJAud32G6

--=-7YuFcYh2eUDRJAud32G6--