Wish List

David Hampton hampton@employees.org
03 Jan 2002 09:51:59 -0800

--=-bEFlCDDja9q8EVaL8xoZ

My wife and I were trying to set up gnucash 1.6 for our finances, and
she (a bookkeeper of 15 years) came up with some suggested enhancements
for the program.  They are:=20

1) In the chart of accounts, the ordering should be assets, liabilities,
equity, income, expenses.  This is the standard order used by
accountants.=20

2) In the COA, you should also be able to drag and drop an account to
change its location.=20

3) Deleting an account should not delete all sub-accounts without first
presenting a warning message.  Other accounting packages promote
sub-accounts when an account is deleted.  Gnucash could ask it the user
wants to a) promote sub-accounts, b) delete sub-accounts, or c) cancel
before starting the deletion.=20

4) Gnucash should not be delete any account that contains transactions.
There should be a way to mark an account as inactive so that the account
doesn't show up in the COA, but the data is still present and will be
included if you print any reports from the time period when the account
was active.

5) Accounts should have a post/no-post option.  This would allow a
parent account to be marked as non-posting, forcing all transactions to
be allocated to sub-accounts.=20

6) Gnucash should automatically save after every transaction.  (If it
already does, then what does the save button do?)=20

7) There should be a report to print the chart of accounts.=20

8) In the print preview mode, clicking the print button gives no
feedback that anything has happened.=20

9) The print to fit button doesn't seem to work.=20

10) There should be a way to print a reconciliation report.   This
report should list all outstanding checks and deposits.  (As part of her
bookkeeping, my wife routinely prints a copy of each bank account
reconciliation and staples it to the bank statement.)  Is would be nice
if there were a way to print old reconciliation reports.=20

I also saw a couple of minor bugs.  They are:=20

1) In the COA, a new account will inserted in the list based sorted by
name.  If an existing account is renamed, however, it is not moved to
maintain sort order, nor is there any way to move it.=20

2) The setup driuds install the "Taxes (Spouse)" category as income
instead of expense.=20

I haven't yet had a chance to see if any of these enhancements have
already been added to the 1.7 sources, of if these bugs have been fixed.

David=20

--=-bEFlCDDja9q8EVaL8xoZ

--=-bEFlCDDja9q8EVaL8xoZ--