gnucash data file incompatibility? (was: Re: 2 versions of g-wrap on one system)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Jul 2002 07:59:53 -0400

Christian Stimming <stimming@tuhh.de> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Note that if you start using gnucash-cvs features and save your data
> > you will NOT be able to re-load that data into gnucash-1.6.
> > Similarly, there may be some issues with the gnucash 'config' file
> > with similar results.  However, IMHO, cvs is worth it :)
>
> Huh? Is it really true that any CVS-HEAD-saved data file can't ever be
> loaded into 1.6 again? Would that mean that we have a new data format
> version which is non-backwards-compatible? Or what was the problem
> again?

There are two problems.

The first is the "config-1.6.auto" file, which is automatically stored
each run.  This particular config-file, when written out by CVS, may
not be readable by 1.6.  The only known workaround is to save this
file befor you run CVS, or if you've already "corrupted" it, remove
this file (which means losing your configuration state).

The second is the XML.  If you use any of the new features CVS
(e.g. SX, Business), then the XML file output cannot be read by 1.6.
I believe that if you only use the 1.6-equivalent functionality in CVS
then the XML should be 100% backwards-compatible.  However, as soon as
you add any SXes or Business objects, the file can no longer be loaded
properly by 1.6 (and it may or may not die on the attempt).