Compiling the CVS head

Eildert Groeneveld eg@tzv.fal.de
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:54:26 +0200

On Thursday 20 June 2002 11:43, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Eildert Groeneveld wrote:
> > we are making progress. One of the big problems is indeed the mssing set
> > of *-devel.rpm . It takes quite some time to find out which they in fact
> > are. So if someone has a good idea of how to handle (and improve) this it
> > would make life much easier.
>
> Maybe we should give more detailed information about this, but OTOH this
>   information is *always* not only distro specific but also very distro
> version specific. If you recall what packages (*-devel and others) you
> manually needed to install, why don't you compile this list and send it
> to gnucash-devel for future reference?
This is exactly the problem: manual lists only reflect the difference of the
status of an installation at the beginning of the installation attempts and
the final success. So this list will always be incomplete and - as Christian
points out distro dependant. So we should have a list that is GENERATED from
the requirements. But I have no good idea of how to do it.

> Remaining compile issue:
>
> The file version.texi is automatically created by something (let me
> guess: autogen.sh?), so it's correct that it's not in CVS. Of course
unfortunately version.texi is NOT generated. And the abort is right at the
beginning of the compile. So there is no binary :(
Apparently version.texi is also required in the src/ dir

> it's annoying that this breaks your compile. I don't quite recall
> whether this is in the beginning or the end of the compile -- 'cause if
> all other subdirectories of src/ we compiled correctly then you're done
> and can try "make install". src/doc is, as the name suggests, only for
> documentation...

Eildert
--
Eildert Groeneveld
Institute for Animal Science and Animal Behaviour