GnuCash developer documentation

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
24 Nov 2002 10:19:40 +1100

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 01:55, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> re coding style, how's this:

Can I make one minor modification to this? (I believe this is consistent
with current style in most of the code anyway)

Replace:

>     if () {
>         something;
>     } else {
>         something else;
>     }

with:
    if ()
    {
        something;
    }
    else
    {
        something else;
    }

(and the equivalent in all other situations).

Yes, its more spread out, but I find it much easier to scan the code for
{'s and }'s in a particular column when trying to find the end of a
if/else block then I do looking for the words.
Also (although it is perhaps considered bad form) the following code
would be obviously correct on a quick scan, whereas using the above
scheme, I would have to stop and check for the non-existence of the
opening { to confirm that it was correct.

    if()
        something();
    else
    {
        something else;
    }

> I like 4 spaces for indents

I prefer two, but that's just personal habit.

> I have seen flamefests about this type of thing before, and it's really
> not as important as all that--it just helps make the code easier to read
> when you have a standard and published style utilized across all the
> code.

And this was decided a couple of years ago, although I don't think it
ever got documented (the documentation was the code... :-)).

I'm not sure (and have no opinion at this point) on the appropriate
style for scheme. I have not done much tinkering with the scheme side of
things, so I've never really bothered to remember how its set up. I do
remember that I found it rather confusing last time I looked.

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  url - http://www.watersprite.com.au/