GnuCash developer documentation

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
28 Nov 2002 10:34:37 -0600

--=-nEPKOXeip/35keNawYGI

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 22:31, bock@step.polymtl.ca wrote:
> En r=E9ponse =E0 Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>:
>=20
> But at least, as far as the output go, it just doesn't matter where the d=
oc is
> actually written.  So I'd gladly accept a little lack of uniformity in ex=
change
> for full documentation.  Perhaps we should leave this for each developper=
> decide, according with his own work habits?

There should be a standard.  Uniformity across the source will make it
much easier to maintain, and learn, for future generations.  e.g.,
there's a whole new group of developers working Gnucash than when I
first started using the app.  We need to make it as easy as possible for
future coders to work with the system, and that's what standards help
with.

re header vs. source, I personally prefer header.  There's no rhyme or
reason.  However, I would much prefer to look at the HTML documentation,
assuming well-written documentation.  That way, I don't even have to
bother either the source or header, and can go write my code knowing
nothing about the internals of other functions.  Isn't that one of the
goals of code reuse (read: OO development)?  So, with that in mind, I
think it's a trivial matter *where* the Doxygen comments go, as long as
it's uniform.

WRT pretty 80-col. boxes and stuff, bah. That only looks good in COBOL,
IMHO (if there!).  We should eschew the propensity to make pretty boxes
in favor of comments that are easily transformed to HTML/LaTeX, etc.=20
With Doxygen, at least you don't have a bunch of @-signs, and <P>s and
<BR>s, etc.  But again, the whole purpose of this exercise is to have a
well-formatted informative HTML/SGML/PDF doc to look at.  As long as the
end result turns out well, and as long as the internal commenting
standard is used, it'll turn out alright.

I think most respondents have supported comments in headers.  Do we
write the standard democratically, then?
--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print $i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except=
 me.

--=-nEPKOXeip/35keNawYGI

--=-nEPKOXeip/35keNawYGI--