New transaction matcher

Benoit Grégoire bock@step.polymtl.ca
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:08:06 -0500

> > I honestly think you got the right basic idea for the matcher, and that
> > it's clearly the best idea (at least for now).  As you might have
> > guessed, there's a number of things I would like to change, but i am sure
> > we will find a common ground.  It mostly has to do with the lack of
> > status on the main page, and the gui behavior (tough I realize much of
> > the later it is probably because you haven't had time to code it.)
>
> Sure, go ahead and propose improvements. Of course for me everything's
> obvious, so your suggestions are definitely helpful.

OK, here I go (some of this is very superficial, I didn't really dive into the
code yet)

-Right now, any added split are added balanced, no matter what you select
(that is even the case in my old matcher now I checked).   This caused me to
start hunting for bugs in the OFX module, until I realized the matcher added
it's balancing split in the SAME account as the source account.  This is a
bug, but illustrates a more fundamental problem:  The user is now FORCED to
use double entry.  That is not necessarily a bad thing, but if we do that, it
is imperative that we force the user not to click OK until he decided on the
destination split or to reconcile any transaction where the match was
inconclusive, or where the split is to be added but no matching string has
been found.

-The actions must go back to the main window.  The actions would now be:
1) "New (Auto-Balance)" (Clicking that pops open the account picker if the 2)
transactions isn't already balanced, if no account was selected, return to
previous action.)
2) "New (Manual)" (Not for 1.8, but that would pop up a register with the
transaction, which would allow the user to split the transaction in multiple
accounts)
3) "Duplicate (Reconcile)" (Same behavior as current)
4) "Duplicate (Edit)" (Not for 1.8, replaces the "REPLACE" action, would pop
up a register with the matching transaction, to allow the user to add or edit
notes or description)
5) "Do not import" (New name for SKIP)
The action names should be shortened, but for now these are explicit.  Now
that we have more real estate (and until we can implement a drop down box).
A different type of GUI (a list of pixmap, used like radio buttion) could be
implemented.  It would fit the new model much better, but requires 5
carefully designed new pixmaps (3 for now) that represent the actions well
(In the short term, 5 buttons with a letter on each and a legend might be
enough).  They would each be in their own column (with no title) and have a
depressed version.  That way it would be obvious what action is about to be
taken, and what to do to change it.  The action button would no longer exist
in the pop-up transaction matcher.

-There must be visual feedback that the match was inconclusive.  I suggest we
color the row in light red (or a tiny warning flag maybe?).  Also, the score
pixmap for the top match should be included in the main window if action is
to reconcile.  That pixmap would be replaced with another one if the
transaction was auto-completed automatically, or is to be added but awaits
selection of the destination account.

That's it for now, this message is already long enough.  The rest is
relatively minor, and unlikely to lead to much debate.

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/