A user does an import (was Re: New transaction matcher)

Benoit Grégoire bock@step.polymtl.ca
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:32:00 -0500

On November 26, 2002 03:15 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Benoit Grégoire <bock@step.polymtl.ca> writes:
> > Humm, interesting idea.  There are many ways we could approach this.  The
> > way I would is:
> >
> > -Use the Memo field of the last split that was used to create the
> > matching string entry in the destination split account finder.  If
> > available that description would be copied in the Memo field of the split
> > auto-created to balance a transaction.
>
> What do you mean by "last split"?  Splits really don't have a real
> order to them, necessarily, within a transaction (or at best the order
> is arbitrary).

True, relying on ordering is a bad idea.  The solution is simple, let's store
the split that was auto-created instead of the transaction (which can always
be retreived using xaccSplitGetParent anyway).

> > -That idea could be extended to be used once there is the possibility to
> > pop a register to manually edit an imported transaction.
>
> _THIS_ might be a cool idea!  An embedded register would be possible.
> Look at how the SX editor does it.

So many good ideas, so little time, 1.8.1? ;)  But now that actions pop a new
window, it would be conceptually easy, unlike with my old matcher.

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/