Initial Draft, GnuCash Help

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
16 Oct 2002 03:37:59 -0700

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 01:26, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Ok, here are my next 2 cents in the help discussion. Also, I think two
> usage problems should be stated much more clearly and up front:
>
> * How to enter multi-split transactions
> * How to enter multi-currency transactions

Ok I'll add these

> On the other hand, the whole chapter "Getting Started" is just about
> that. Right, if the first time run dialog has such a button, it makes
> some sense to include the "Gnucash Tutorial" there. On the other hand
> that whole chapter is about that topic... either way is fine, I guess.

Good :)

> >>What does "Transaction Register" mean? Maybe this subsection needs a
> >>more clear title.
> >
> > Well, it hasn't really been named before, but I was trying for a
> > description of the part of the Register window that you 'enter data
> > into' which is why I went for transaction register. This section will in
> > essence describe what the fields are and how to manipulate them. Other
> > possible names;
> > 	Account Ledger
> > 	Transaction Ledger
> >
> > I'm interested to hear your thoughts here.
>

> Should it be a description of the part of the Account Register Window
> where transactions are shown and entered? Then I'd call it simply "List
> of Transactions".

Ok, I dont think this is an ideal name but I'm willing to go with it as
I cant think of anything better :)

> Err -- "Organizing" is just a synonym for "Managing" with the same broad
> range of meanings.
>
> My point was that the user asks himself "I want to do this-and-that.
> Where can I find it?". Our section titles should be exactly the
> "this-and-that" words. IMHO, users wouldn't say "I want to manage my
> accounts," they would rather say "I want to create new accounts," or "I
> want to change my account setup," or "I want to change the type of my
> account" or similar. I think it is not very natural to think of each of
> these actions under headline of "I want to *manage* (or: organize) my
> account". Instead, I think "Setup your accounts" or "Account Setup" is
> indeed a much more precise description of what is written about in that
> section. I would prefer one of these.

Oh! I see what you're getting at now and yes I agree. A task based
approach makes so much more sense for a user. I think what I may do is
leave the 'Window' part, this describes for the user different parts of
what they are looking at, then redo the last bit to be entirely 'how do
I do common tasks'. This way If you looking for help on how to do
something its fairly simple to find it. Let me work on that a bit and
get back to you.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit