Initial Draft, GnuCash Help

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
17 Oct 2002 03:17:32 -0700

--=-M7uTD2gXWtgfdQUyMjrL

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 03:37, Chris Lyttle wrote:

> Oh! I see what you're getting at now and yes I agree. A task based
> approach makes so much more sense for a user. I think what I may do is
> leave the 'Window' part, this describes for the user different parts of
> what they are looking at, then redo the last bit to be entirely 'how do
> I do common tasks'. This way If you looking for help on how to do
> something its fairly simple to find it. Let me work on that a bit and
> get back to you.

Weird, replying to my own messages now...

OK Christian, Here is what I worked out based on your suggestions.
Attached to this message is also a text file of the help I've done so
far for you to read.

Chris

PS - Conrad the attached help file is also for you to look at.

Usage
	GnuCash Windows
		Account Tree Window
			Menus
			    Menu Shortcuts
			Tool Bar Buttons
			Summary Bar
			Account Tree
			Status Bar
		Account Register Window
			Menus
			    Menu Shortcuts
			Tool Bar Buttons
			Summary Bar
			List of Transactions
			Status Bar
			General Ledger Tool
		Report Window
			Tool Bar Buttons
		Tool Windows
			Scheduled Transaction Editor
			Price Editor
			Commodity Editor
			Financial Calculator
			Find Transactions
		Help Window
	Setting Up And Editing Accounts
		Types of GnuCash Accounts
		To Create a Chart of Accounts
		To Create a New Account
			General Information
			Opening Balance
		To Edit an Account
		To Edit a Chart of Accounts
			Moving From Subaccount to Parent Account
			Moving From Parent Account to Subaccount
			Moving To a Different Parent Account
		To Delete an Account
		To Jump to another Account
		To Reconcile an Account to a Statement
			Reconcile Information
			Reconcile Window
			     Status of Transactions
		To Transfer Funds Between Accounts
			Transfer Funds Window
		To Perform a Stock Split
			Stock Split Druid
	Using The Register To Record Transactions
		To Enter a Transaction
			Enter in the List of Transactions
			    Autofill
			    Keyboard Shortcuts
			Enter in the Transfer Funds Window
		To Enter Multiple Split Transactions
		To Enter Multiple Currency Transactions
		To Edit a Transaction
		To Delete a Transaction
		To Copy a Transaction
		To Find a Transaction
		To Schedule Transactions
	Using Gnucash Reports And Charts
		Types of Reports and Graphs
			General Reports
			Assets & Liabilities
			Income & Expense
			Business Reports
		To Create Reports and Graphs
		To Customize Reports and Graphs
		To Print Reports and Graphs
Customizing GnuCash
	Setting Your Preferences
	Changing Style Sheets
	Setting Tax Options

--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit
	| / __> |  cause we are Metallica
	|/ /    |
	\       /
	 |     |

--=-M7uTD2gXWtgfdQUyMjrL

	Introduction to GnuCash
	What is GnuCash?

GnuCash is a personal and small business finance application. Its designed =
to be easy to use, yet powerful and flexible. GnuCash allows you to track y=
our income and expenses, reconcile bank accounts, monitor stock portfolios =
and manage your small business finances. It is based on professional accoun=
ting principles to ensure balanced books and accurate reports.
				<picture>
	Getting Started
	Running GnuCash for the first time

The very first time you run GnuCash you will be presented with the Welcome =
to GnuCash! menu with three choices;

	Create a new set of accounts -	Runs the New Account Hierarchy Setup Druid.
	Import my QIF files -	Runs the Import QIF Files Druid.
	Open the new user tutorial -	Opens the GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide.

This menu is intended for you to use to get quickly up and running.=20

	The Cancel button is used to exit the dialog. It will then prompt you to U=
ncheck the checkbox if you do not want to see the Welcome to GnuCash! menu =
again. The default is to have the Welcome to GnuCash! menu run again.
	The OK button is used to confirm your selection.

You can either use a preset hierarchy of accounts, import Quicken files (QI=
F files) or view the GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide. Each of these cho=
ices will be explained in more depth in the following sections.

	If you wish to have a basic set of accounts to add account transactions in=
to choose Create a new set of accounts.
	If you already have Quicken files (QIF files) from another financial appli=
cation and wish to import them then choose Import my QIF files.
	If you are a new to GnuCash and just want to be guided though setting up G=
nuCash then choose Open the new user tutorial.

It is possible to run these items after you have made a choice here but thi=
s Welcome to GnuCash! menu will not reappear. To try one of the other choic=
es later, use the following sections to start the other items from the GnuC=
ash menu.
	New Account Hierarchy Setup

This druid helps you to create a set of GnuCash accounts.  It will appear i=
f you choose Create a new set of accounts in the Welcome to GnuCash! menu.

To start this druid manually go to File -> New File. This will create a new=
 blank GnuCash file and then automatically start the New Account Hierarchy =
Setup druid.

The New Account Hierarchy Setup druid opens with a screen that briefly desc=
ribes what this druid does. The three buttons at the very bottom of the scr=
een will not change while using the druid.

	The Cancel button is used to exit the druid and cancel creating a new set =
of accounts.  Any selections you have made in this druid up to this point w=
ill be lost.
	The Back button will bring up the previous screen so you can change a sele=
ction made on that screen.
	The Forward button will bring up the next screen so you can continue thoug=
h the druid.

The next screen allows you to select the default currency to use for your a=
ccounts.  The Select... button on this screen is used to access the list of=
 currencies. The Select... button brings up the Select currency/security di=
alog.

	The Type: drop down list defaults to CURRENCY. Other types are used for se=
tting up commodities for stock related accounts.
	The Currency/security: drop down list defaults to USD (US Dollar). If you =
wish your accounts to use a different default currency select one from the =
list.=20
	The OK button is used to confirm your selection.
	The New... button brings up the New Currency/Security dialog. This is used=
 for setting up commodities for stock related accounts.
	The Cancel button is used to exit the dialog without using any changes you=
 have made.

The next screen is used to choose a hierarchy of accounts to create. You wi=
ll see a screen divided into three parts.=20

	The top part has a list of Account Types and Descriptions for commonly use=
d hierarchies of accounts. Select from this list the types of accounts you =
wish to use. You can select as many types of accounts as you wish.
	The left bottom part has a Detailed Description of the account type you se=
lected.
	The right bottom part has a list of the Accounts that will be created from=
 the selected account type.
	The Select All button allows you to include all of the account types from =
the top part.
	The Clear All button allows you to deselect all of the account types from =
the top part.

The next screen allows you to enter opening balances for your accounts and =
also select if the account is a placeholder account. Placeholder accounts a=
re used to create a hierarchy of accounts and normally do not have transact=
ions or opening balances. Equity accounts also do not have opening balances.

	The left side of the screen has a list of Account Names. Select each accou=
nt to enter a opening balance or to make it a placeholder account.
	The right side of the screen has a checkbox to make an account a Placehold=
er and a box to add the Opening Balance for the selected account.

The last screen gives you a list of three choices to finish the druid.

	The Cancel button is used to exit the druid and cancel creating a new set =
of accounts.  Any selections you have made in this druid up to this point w=
ill be lost.
	The Back button will bring up the previous screen so you can change a sele=
ction made on that screen.
	The Finish button creates the accounts you have selected.

You should now have a hierarchy of accounts in your main GnuCash account wi=
ndow.
	Import QIF Files

This Druid helps you import Quicken (QIF) files. It will appear if you choo=
se Import my QIF files in the Welcome to GnuCash! menu.

To start this druid manually go to File -> Import -> Import QIF... or press=
 Ctrl-I.

The Import QIF files druid opens with a screen that briefly describes what =
this druid does. The three buttons at the very bottom of the screen will no=
t change while using the druid.

	The Cancel button is used to exit the druid and cancel importing Quicken f=
ile data.  Any selections you have made in this druid up to this point will=
 be lost.
	The Back button will bring up the previous screen so you can change a sele=
ction made on that screen.
	The Forward button will bring up the next screen so you can continue thoug=
h the druid.

The next screen allows you to Select a QIF file to load. The Select... butt=
on on this screen is used to access the list of files. The Select... button=
 brings up the Select QIF File dialog.

	The Create Dir button allows you to make a directory to store the GnuCash =
files.
	The Delete File button allows you to remove unwanted files.
	The Rename File button allows you to rename GnuCash files.
	The drop down list allows you to navigate the directory structure.
	The left panel allows you to navigate up and down by directory
	The right panel allows you to select the file you want
	The OK button is used to confirm your selection.
	The Cancel button is used to exit the dialog without using any changes you=
 have made.

Navigate to where you have stored your QIF files and select the first one t=
hen click OK. You will now see it listed in the QIF Filename: field.

If the file you are loading does not have an account name listed in it you =
will see the Set the default QIF account name screen. Otherwise you will sk=
ip this screen and go on to the screen in the next section that shows loade=
d QIF files.

	The Account name: field is used to set an account name for this QIF file.

The next screen shows you the QIF files you have loaded. You can use this s=
creen to return to the previous screen and load more QIF files. It will als=
o let you Unload any files you have loaded by mistake.

	The top panel shows the list of QIF Files you have loaded.
	The Load another file button takes you back to the previous screen to load=
 another QIF file.
	The Unload selected file allows you to select a file from the top panel an=
d remove it from the list.

The next screen gives a description of the Accounts and stock holdings matc=
hing process on the Match QIF accounts with GnuCash accounts screen. This a=
nd other informational screens in the Import QIF files druid can be turned =
off in the QIF Import section of the GnuCash Preferences. Please refer to t=
he GnuCash Preferences section of the help for instructions on this.

The next screen lets you Match QIF accounts with GnuCash accounts. You will=
 see a list of QIF account names on the left and suggested GnuCash account =
names on the right. The New? column indicates if the GnuCash account name w=
ill be created by the QIF Import.=20

To change the GnuCash account to a different one select the QIF account. A =
dialog will pop up to select another account or create a new one.

	Select an Account from the list to choose a already existing account.
	The New Account (child of selected) ... button allows you to add a new acc=
ount name as a sub-account of the selected account.
	The OK button is used to confirm your selection.
	The Cancel button is used to exit the dialog without using any changes you=
 have made.

The next screen gives a description of the Income and Expense categories ma=
tching process on the Match QIF categories with GnuCash accounts screen.

The next screen lets you Match QIF categories with GnuCash accounts. You wi=
ll see a list of QIF category names on the left and suggested GnuCash accou=
nt names on the right. The New? column indicates if the GnuCash account nam=
e will be created by the QIF Import.=20

To change the GnuCash account to a different one select the QIF category. A=
 dialog will pop up to select another account or create a new one.

	Select an Account from the list to choose a already existing account.
	The New Account (child of selected) ... button allows you to add a new acc=
ount name as a sub-account of the selected account.
	The OK button is used to confirm your selection.
	The Cancel button is used to exit the dialog without using any changes you=
 have made.

The next screen gives a description of the Payees and memos matching proces=
s on the Match  payees/memos to GnuCash accounts screen.

The next screen lets you Match payees/memos to GnuCash accounts. You will s=
ee a list of QIF payee/memo names on the left and suggested GnuCash account=
 names on the right. The default GnuCash account used is called Unspecified=
. The New? column indicates if the GnuCash account name will be created by =
the QIF Import.=20

To change the GnuCash account to a different one select the QIF payee/memo.=
 A dialog will pop up to select another account or create a new one.

	Select an Account from the list to choose a already existing account.
	The New Account (child of selected) ... button allows you to add a new acc=
ount name as a sub-account of the selected account.
	The OK button is used to confirm your selection.
	The Cancel button is used to exit the dialog without using any changes you=
 have made.

The next screen allows you to Enter the currency used for new accounts. The=
 drop down list defaults to USD (US Dollar). If you wish the new accounts t=
o use a different currency select one from the list.=20

The next screen gives a description of the Match duplicate transactions pro=
cess on the Select possible duplicates screen.

The next screen lets you Select possible duplicate transactions. Imported t=
ransactions are shown on the left panel and possible matches to each select=
ed transaction are shown on the right.

	The left panel shows the list of Imported transactions to select from for =
matching duplicates
	The right panel shows the list of Possible duplicates for the selected imp=
orted transaction. Select the one that most closely matches

The last screen gives you a list of three choices to finish the druid.

	The Cancel button is used to exit the druid and cancel creating a new set =
of accounts.  Any selections you have made in this druid up to this point w=
ill be lost.
	The Back button will bring up the previous screen so you can change a sele=
ction made on that screen.
	The Finish button creates the accounts you have selected.

You should now have successfully imported your accounts.
	GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide

This guide is the counterpart to this help. It explains the concepts used i=
n GnuCash and has a tutorial that takes you through using GnuCash to manage=
 your accounts. It will appear if you choose Open the new user tutorial in =
the Welcome to GnuCash! menu.

To open this Guide manually go to Help -> Tutorial and Concepts Guide.

It is strongly recommended to read this guide if you are new to GnuCash or =
unfamiliar with accounting concepts.=20
	Tip of Day

The Tip of the Day screen starts whenever you start GnuCash. It gives tips =
on features and using GnuCash.  You can use the three buttons at the bottom=
 of the screen to look through the tips.

	The close button is used to dismiss the Tip of the Day dialog
	The Prev button is used to look at the previous tip
	The Next button is used to look at the next tip.
	The Display this dialog next time checkbox is used to enable or disable th=
e Tip of the Day from running at GnuCash startup.

It is also possible to configure if the Tip of the Day runs at startup in E=
dit -> Preferences -> General. The Tip of the Day can also be manually run =
by going to Help -> Tip of the Day.
	Usage
				GnuCash Windows
					Account Tree Window
[...]