Generic Transaction import discussion

gnucash@cbbrowne.com gnucash@cbbrowne.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:20:29 -0400

John Meinel wrote:
> Am I going to have to work with an XML parser and manually change the
> gnucash account file? That sounds like a good way to break a lot of
> stuff.  Is there a simple method for importing an XML file instead of a
> QIF file?  Do QIF files support splits and I'm just not aware of it?

QIF files certainly /do/ support "splits."

See <http://cbbrowne.com/info/financeformats.html> for details.

Building QIF files with "splits" certainly is an option.

I would think it a neater option to build data files in the form that YOU
want, with some view to having a data model generally compatible with
GnuCash's data model, and add a module to directly import your format.
Although that leaves open the problem of automating the translation of account
names from what is being used in PalmCoins to those used with GnuCash...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc@" "sirhc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html