boost spirit for antlr for qif parse?

gnucash@cbbrowne.com gnucash@cbbrowne.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:52:57 -0400

Larry Evans wrote:
> After struggling with the qif-import files to find a fix for 95844,
> I thought using something like  the two software packages mentioned
> in the subject line would have made things a lot easier.
> Has the been any thought about using these?
>
> Spirit
> (http://spirit.sourceforge.net/index.php?doc=download/v1_5.html)
> seems especially suitable since it can be decomposed into
> separate grammars (as does the
> qif-parse.scm:parse-number/format for integer,decimal comma)
> and invoked separately on a user specified template, and is infinite
> look-ahead LL grammar; so, any ambiguity can be handled.
>
> Currently v1_5 is being review no on the boost list
> ( http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm ).
> I'm sure the author would be happy to answer any
> questions someone might have.

Both of those parsers are written in totally different languages from those
used for GnuCash.  It would be equally appropriate to propose parsers
requiring reimplementing GnuCash in Objective CAML, Java, or Ada.

In any case, the challenges in parsing QIF files would not be addressed by
looking into a full-scale LALR-1 style parser.  The "complexities" of QIF
could more than likely be fully plumbed with nothing more sophisticated than
FLEX.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/