Update-Finance-Quote dependancy of libwww-perl.

Decibels decibelshelp@charter.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:52:43 -0500

Hello,
    The script that comes with GnuCash doesn't check if libwww-perl is
installed, which it won't work without.
I emailed the Finance::Quote developer and he agrees that something
should be done, but it isn't his script.

  Gentoo is the only distro that I have had GnuCash installed on, so I
don't know about the others. Maybe some
install libwww-perl my default.

  I wrote a patch to add a line to the script saying basically that
libwww-perl must be installed for Quotes to work
in GnuCash.  I don't really want to deploy the patch though. I would
prefer the fix came from the people developing
GnuCash.

  Gentoo didn't want to make another dep, frankly because GnuCash
doesn't depend on libwww-perl. But a notice
of the fact was agreed on. One suggestion was at the end of GnuCash
build process. I think it would be more appropriate
to put it in the Update-Finance-Script. Because people may not remember
that notice if they install the Finance::Quote
Perl module later.

  So can something be done on your end to add a notice in the script
that libwww-perl needs to be installed also?

Thanks, Dave