Update-Finance-Quote dependancy of libwww-perl.

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
22 Oct 2002 07:07:47 -0500

--=-L88xGn0tPKmCNMlENWta

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 20:52, Decibels wrote:
> Hello,
>     The script that comes with GnuCash doesn't check if libwww-perl is=20
> installed, which it won't work without.
> I emailed the Finance::Quote developer and he agrees that something=20
> should be done, but it isn't his script.
>=20
>   Gentoo is the only distro that I have had GnuCash installed on, so I=20
> don't know about the others. Maybe some
> install libwww-perl my default.
>=20
>   I wrote a patch to add a line to the script saying basically that=20
> libwww-perl must be installed for Quotes to work
> in GnuCash.  I don't really want to deploy the patch though. I would=20
> prefer the fix came from the people developing
> GnuCash.
>=20
>   Gentoo didn't want to make another dep, frankly because GnuCash=20
> doesn't depend on libwww-perl. But a notice
> of the fact was agreed on. One suggestion was at the end of GnuCash=20
> build process. I think it would be more appropriate
> to put it in the Update-Finance-Script. Because people may not remember=
=20
> that notice if they install the Finance::Quote
> Perl module later.
>=20
>   So can something be done on your end to add a notice in the script=20
> that libwww-perl needs to be installed also?
>=20
> Thanks, Dave
>=20

It could be made a dependency in the package manager, maybe. I don't
know about .tgz, but I know apt and rpm support dependency checking.  Or
perhaps just a post-install message saying "install this", as well as a
similar message at the end of the build, if the package is not already
installed.

--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print
$i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
except me.

--=-L88xGn0tPKmCNMlENWta

--=-L88xGn0tPKmCNMlENWta--