Conduit to Freecoins

John F. Meinel Jr. gnucash@johnmeinel.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:26:03 -0500

Hello all-
I am currently a developer on the Palm financial program freecoins
<http://freecoins.sourceforge.net>
Basically, for any who don't know about it, it is a simple transaction
program that uses a similar ideology to that of gnu-cash
(split-transaction, double bookkeeping [if I have the terms correct]).
  Anyway, I am developing an export program (freecoinsExport) for taking
the Palm database files and exporting them into other formats (such as
csv for a spreadsheet, or hopefully QIF for import into Quicken or
gnu-cash).
So naturally, I am interested in finding a way to export to a format
that gnu-cash can import into.  So far my attempts at exporting QIF have
met with some limited success.  I wasn't able to find a lot of
information on what the QIF format should really be.
There has also been some work to create an XML formatted document that
is similar in design to the gnu-cash system.  However, [at least people
tell me] that there isn't an easy way to import an XML file into gnu-cash.
I should also state that I don't have much personal experience with
gnu-cash.  This has mostly been 3rd party people who tried my program,
and then offered some suggestions.
Of course, the ultimate goal would be to create a conduit between
gnu-cash and freecoins that allows the two programs to stay
synchronized.  I don't think you would want to keep the full transaction
record on your Palm (not enough space), but you could keep say the last
month or so.  I am looking into what all of this would take, and I was
hoping that I could get some information from the group and see if
anyone would be interested in working on it with me.
Thank you very much,
John
=:->