Conduit to Freecoins

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:40:46 -0500 (CDT)

GNUCash can import properly formatted QIF files.  I believe there is also
work in importing OFX data, with which I am not familiar.

Having a conduit-ized checkbook-type program on a Palm device would be
incredibly handy. I've been trying to work on such a beast for a while
now, but life keeps getting in the way. ;(.  My thought is that the
synchronization should be one-way: the Palm device serves as a temporary
device for recording transactions, using a set database of accounts.
Transactions would be downloaded from the Palm to GnuCash.  An enhancement
project would include a way to synchronize the accounts database.

FreeCoins seemed to me to be a more complete accounting solution than what
I was planning.  To me, it seems more geared towards people that just want
to maintain their financial info on the Palm.  Trying to keep it
synchronized with GnuCash is going to be a full-fledged project all by
itself.  If a person uses *just* FreeCoins, and only imports the QIF into
GnuCash, then it should be OK.  If, however, a person routinely makes
changes in both places, you'll have to figure out what changes need to be
propagated, how to track those changes, how to mark them as synchronized,
etc.  A program I use with Lotus Notes offers the capability of limiting
synchronization to a specific range of records (last week, last 2 weeks,
etc)--something similar would, as you stated, be necessary due to space
constrictions on the Palm device.

Just some things to think about.....
Good luck.

<quote who="John F. Meinel Jr.">