Budgeting in GNUcash

Josh Sled jsled@asynchronous.org
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 11:01:19 -0700

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 01:32:44PM -0400, John P. New wrote:

| I took your advice and installed g-wrap 1.3.2 to
| /opt/gnc-unstable-deps/. However, I don't know how to use
| LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get to the right g-wrap.
|
| I am getting:
| ...snip...
| Checking for g-wrap-config... no
| configure: warning: g-wrap-config failed
| configure: error:
|
|   g-wrap does not appear to be installed correctly
| ...snip...
|
| If this isn't a simple piece of advice, could you please point me to a
| document where I could learn the correct way to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is just a ':'-seperated [ordered] list of directories
which defines where the system library loader [ld.so] should check for
libraries _before_ searching the standard system paths.  You can use it
to have a user-local library directory [~/lib/] if you don't have root
over a machine ... or, in this case, to have a different development
environment than installed.

My ~/bin/gnc-dev-env script looks like this:

--- #include ~/bin/gnc-dev-env ---
#!/bin/bash

# setup environment to develop for Gnucash 1.7.x
# 2001.12.09 -- jsled

PATH=/opt/gncdeps/bin:$PATH
export PATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gncdeps/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

alias ag='./autogen.sh --prefix /opt/gnucash-unstable --enable-debug --enable-etags'

--- end ---

Note that you also have to get /opt/gnc-unstable-deps/bin into the front
of your PATH, as well, so that the correct `g-wrap-config` can get picked
up during ./configure time... it will give configure the version [for
it's check] and the CFLAGS and LD_FLAGS vars pointing to the correct
directory [/opt/mumble].  Both PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH need to have
these directories _pre-_pended so that the development versions shadow
the installed/normal versions... but likely there should be nothing
else in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- the standard places [/lib, /usr/lib,
/usr/local/lib] should be in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Also note that you want CVS gnucash to be --prefix'ed into some other dir;
as you can see, I've used /opt/gnucash-unstable.  If anything goes horribly
crazy, I can `rm -Rf /opt/gnucash-unstable`, and not effect the deps.

[I'm posting to the list so others can benefit as well].

Cheers...
...jsled