Fwd: [guppi-list] The State of the Fish

Michael + Jennifer Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:18:29 -0400

For everyone's consideration . . .

----- Forwarded message from Jon Trowbridge <jon@trowbridge.org> -----
    Date: 23 Sep 2002 14:00:11 -0500
    From: Jon Trowbridge <jon@trowbridge.org>
 Subject: [guppi-list] The State of the Fish
      To: guppi-list <guppi-list@gnome.org>

A lot of people have been wondering what has going on with Guppi.  Well,
I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the the GNOME2 port is almost complete, and can be
found in the cvs module 'libguppi'.  While it is still missing some
functionality (certain plot types mainly) and needs debugging, the heavy
lifting has been done and a lot of old crufty stuff has been cleaned
up.  From an architectural standpoint, Guppi has never been in better
shape.

Which brings me to the bad news:

Due to a variety of factors, both professional and personal, my hacking
on Guppi has basically stopped.  Guppi is a big, complicated piece of
code, and it requires large chunks of time in order to work on it
productively.  Unfortunately, I just don't have that kind of time right
now, and I don't expect that to change in the near future.

As I look back over the last several years of work on Guppi, I've made
plenty of mistakes.  The biggest one may have been my inability to bring
other developers into the project.  Without other contributers, the
project has stagnated as I've become less and less available to push it
forward.

So the time has come to admit defeat, and to acknowledge that I don't
have the time, energy and force of will that it would take to get this
project going again and to keep it moving.

Of course, all of the Guppi source code will continue to live in GNOME's
CVS repository.  In a perfect world, someone else out there would be
interested in picking up that code and taking over for me... and if
anyone out there is interested in becoming the Guppi maintainer, please
contact me.  I would be more than happy to do anything I could to help
out.

Over the years I've had a lot of fun and met a lot of great people
thanks to Guppi. and I'd like to extend my thanks to all of you who have
supported the project.  We didn't achieve world domination this time ---
but who knows what the future holds?

-JT