RFC: Website maintenance

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Fri Apr 4 15:08:14 CST 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 07:09:40PM -0500, Jeremy Andrews was heard to remark:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:56:00 -0600
> linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I have some reservations about wiki's in general, though.  If you have
> > ever used any, you will note that they are invariably badly organized
> > and ugly looking  to boot.  They still need a strong editorial hand to
> > be worthwhile.   I did see some related tool faq-o-matic or something
> > like that, that was not sinfully ugly.  I'm thinking the best looking,
> > and most usable, would be a slashdot-like thing, e.g. phpnuke, or
> > whatever.  It avoids the problems that wiki's have.
>
> I'd happily donate some time to setting up a site with Drupal
> (http://drupal.org/).  In my experience, Drupal is much more efficient,
> and much easier to customize than PHPNuke, et al.  In setting it up, I'd
> be happy to help write customized GnuCash modules should specialized needs
> arise, though I'm pretty sure Drupal as it stands will be sufficient.
>
> Once the the site is configured and the theme done, it would then be left
> to the webmaster to manage the content and make the occasional tweeks as
> needed.

I'm sorry, I'm starting to loose the thread.  The original discussion
was about having some way for people to put together a FAQ; are there
other requirements?  How does Drupal solve this problem?

Last thing I want to have someone tear up the gnucash website, leave
a few things broken, say 'that's it I'm done' and walk away.  I've
already 'been there done that'.

--linas