warnings with gcc 3.3

Herbert Thoma tma at iis.fhg.de
Tue Apr 8 01:20:35 CDT 2003

Hi,

I just updated to SuSE 8.2 which comes with gcc 3.3

This new gcc seems to be even more nitpicking than gcc 3.2
I get quite a few warnings, mostly:
  warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
I think I can fix these, for now I'm using --disable-error-on-warning

I get also some of those warnings:
  warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
I have no clue what this is all about.

A example is src/gnome-utils/gnc-html.c
gnc-html.c: In function `gnc_html_http_request_cb':
gnc-html.c:453: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
gnc-html.c:454: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
gnc-html.c: In function `gnc_html_unregister_object_handler':
gnc-html.c:1394: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
gnc-html.c:1395: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
gnc-html.c: In function `gnc_html_unregister_action_handler':
gnc-html.c:1429: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
gnc-html.c:1430: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

 Herbert.
--
Herbert Thoma
FhG-IIS A, Studio Department