Gnucash 1.8.2 first impressions

Herbert Thoma tma at iis.fhg.de
Wed Apr 9 11:27:18 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins schrieb:

> Boris Goldowsky <boris at alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 11:14  AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >
> > > Pricedb entries are never created by anything except the Transfer
> > > Dialog, Manual Entry in the Price Editor, and pulling quotes off the
> > > net.  I'm not convinced that the QIF importer (or any importer) should
> > > actually add items to the pricedb -- but I could be convinced.
> >
> > This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for some time.
> > Is there any particular reason that the price at which you've entered
> > a "buy" or "sell" for a security shouldn't be entered into the price
> > db?  I'm not talking about imported transactions so much as the ones I
> > enter manually - having to enter the price in two separate places
> > always seems odd.
>
> Honestly, that's a good question, and one that I've wondered myself.
> Right now it depends on how you actually enter the transaction.  If
> you wind up using the Transfer Dialog (either via C-T on the
> top-level, or in order to enter an "exchange rate" from the register)
> then the price _IS_ entered in the pricedb.  OTOH, if you enter the
> price directly into a stock/mutual-fund/currency register, the price
> is NOT entered into the pricedb.
>
> I don't know why....  The arguments that I've heard are that the
> pricedb is meant to store prices obtained off the net, not buy/sell
> prices.  Indeed, the buy/sell price is directly computable from the
> transaction, so why store it elsewhere?

So why get the prices from the transfer dialog in? I see no difference
between a price from the transfer dialog and a price from a
stock/mutual-fund/currency register ...

It may well be that you don't get prices from the net and then you
would be happy with at least the prices from the transactions.
(Remember: The reports only use prices from the pricedb.)

 Herbert.