Gnucash 1.8.2 first impressions

Derek Broughton dbroughton at netcom.ca
Wed Apr 9 10:05:59 CDT 2003

From: "Herbert Thoma" <tma at iis.fhg.de>

> Derek Atkins schrieb:
> >
> > Boris Goldowsky <boris at alum.mit.edu> writes:
> >
> > > This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for some time.
> > > Is there any particular reason that the price at which you've entered
> > > a "buy" or "sell" for a security shouldn't be entered into the price
> > > db?
> >
> > I don't know why....  The arguments that I've heard are that the
> > pricedb is meant to store prices obtained off the net, not buy/sell
> > prices.  Indeed, the buy/sell price is directly computable from the
> > transaction, so why store it elsewhere?
>
> So why get the prices from the transfer dialog in? I see no difference
> between a price from the transfer dialog and a price from a
> stock/mutual-fund/currency register ...

Neither do I.

> It may well be that you don't get prices from the net and then you
> would be happy with at least the prices from the transactions.
> (Remember: The reports only use prices from the pricedb.)

This was the behavior I used to see in Quicken, and I can't imagine any other
reason why it works that way.  imo, actual sale prices are much more 'true' than
some quote received from the net, and should always be added to the pricedb. Any
justification that the 'pricedb is meant' to do anything sounds like that's why
the original author used it, and wasn't interested in anything more.  Which is
fair, but not a good reason not to improve on it.
--
derek