Books, sessions [was: Re: UI independance]

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 9 13:19:04 CDT 2003

Herbert Thoma <tma at iis.fhg.de> writes:

> Furthermoe I think there is a second problem with your "direct transfer
> from old to new accounts" proposal: transactions have to be balanced.
> If the two periods are in different files, the opening and closing
> transactions point outside of the file which is not allowed and
> you need the equity account anyway. This is not an issue if you have
> all periods in one file or one DB.

That doesn't necessarily work, either -- not only do transactions have
to be balanced, but all accounts must belong to the same AccountGroup,
which implies all accounts are in the same GNCBook (or whatever this
gets renamed to).

Matthew: also note that non-CoA items have references to accounts by
GUID (e.g. saved reports, Customers/Vendors, posted Invoices, etc).
You'll need to go through and change all THOSE references as well!

> I would not like to have a running Postgres DB server as a requirement for
> GnuCash, but I think I like the embedded-SQL idea.

Agreed -- I wouldn't make the "external Postgres server" be the default.