Books, sessions [was: Re: UI independance]

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Sat Apr 12 13:39:15 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:19:04PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Herbert Thoma <tma at iis.fhg.de> writes:
>
> > Furthermoe I think there is a second problem with your "direct transfer
> > from old to new accounts" proposal: transactions have to be balanced.
> > If the two periods are in different files, the opening and closing
> > transactions point outside of the file which is not allowed and
> > you need the equity account anyway. This is not an issue if you have
> > all periods in one file or one DB.
>
> That doesn't necessarily work, either -- not only do transactions have
> to be balanced, but all accounts must belong to the same AccountGroup,
> which implies all accounts are in the same GNCBook (or whatever this
> gets renamed to).

I am not sure what this is about, I will read this thread backwards.

Right now, the code that closes the books will never make transfers
between old and new accounts.  Opening balances for asset accounts
are handled as a transfer between an account and an equity account.
Opening balances on income accounts are zeroed.

I have not completely thought through how to handle lots, but don't
expect difficulties.  I was also thinking that having a Lot editor GUI
was a higher priority than completing the code to close periods.

--linas