Budgeting proposal

Phillip John Shelton phillips at yourisp.com.au
Mon Apr 21 13:02:38 CDT 2003

Has any one dug out Josh's proposal from the archive yet?

I do not have the bandwidth to do it my self.

I have just used a commercial program for looking at what my *home*
budget (amount that I should only spend up to for any given catagory)
should be.  All it does is looks at future expences should be.  It
divides expences into three types of expences.

1/ these are the less then one year cycle expences with timings from
once off through to number of days between.

2/ longer term expences these are recorded as lifetime and current age.
The limit in the program is a ten year cycle.

3/ and once off large expences and non-regular expences are recorded as
an amount that is set aside on a regular time period.

There is a page for entering what are your regular incomes, and a page
for line of credit and loans.

These are all treated as shedualed transactions out for a year from the
start of the budget, and ten years for the longer term expences. It is
graphed and you can also look at the 'register' of the transactions It
hi-lights the low point, and calculates what your starting bank balance
should be and what the difference between what you bring in and what you
plan to spend is.

I am with Matthew in that the budget stuff should be seperate and not
part of the ordanary accounts, and Josh in that it may even be a
separate subsystem.

Matthew Vanecek wrote:
<snip/>
> The Budget really is its own little entity.  It's changeable, portable,
> and can bite you in the butt. On the other hand, it's nice to know how
> much money you plan on having, and how much you plan on spending.
> However, it's association with the Accounts is only incidental (albeit
> important).  What happens in the Accounts doesn't affect the Budget, and
> what happens in the Budget doesn't affect the Accounts.  It's the
> *comparison* of the two that will  make you cringe. =P

I agree.