Generic Import API

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Apr 22 12:04:19 CDT 2003

Benoit Grégoire schrieb:
 >>1. From what I can see of the OFX and HBCI code, the transactions
initially
 >>created are never balanced; that is, they have only one split, and
the GUI
 >>always prompts the user to select the 2nd account for the 2nd split.  Is
 >>that what really happens?  I have access to neither type of service
to test
 >>my understanding.
 >
 > This is what USUALLY happens, but not always. Some transactions are
added
 > already balanced.  The GUI will only ask the user for a destination
split if
 > the transaction isn't balanced when it is passed to the importer.

The point here is: some importing methods can already determine "both"
splits in a transaction, for example when a QIF file with a book from
another accounting program is imported. Other importing methods can only
determine "one side" of the transaction, e.g. a downloaded bank
statement for one specific checking account. The importer needs to deal
and is able to deal with both situations. So yes, the transactions
initially created are usually not balanced, but from some importers
occasionally they might be balanced.

As for testing an existing importer: If you install Benoit's libofx, you
will find some sample OFX files in its package which you can simply
select for import. This way you can try the existing importer.

Christian