head vs branch from CVS (was Re: Submitted and fixed bug #119001)

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Mon Aug 4 11:39:37 CDT 2003

<shoulda changed the subject on my last post -- or started a new thread
altogether, sorry>

On 8/4/2003 10:14 AM, someone claiming to be Derek Atkins wrote:

> Tim Wunder <tim at thewunders.org> writes:
>

>>OK, how can I verify that I'm running HEAD?
>>I did the following
>>$ cp -a gnucash gnucash-head (to copy my copy of the CVS source tree)
>

> What branch is your checkout?

I've been maintaining a relatively current 1.8 branch via a cron'd
script, which (among other things) performs:
cvs update -C -r gnucash-1-8-branch

>>$ cd gnucash-head
>>$ cvs update -r HEAD -Pd
>

> You don't need -r HEAD -- the HEAD branch is assumed -- assuming you
> started with HEAD.  If you checked out a branch then this might not do
> what you think/want.  You might be better off checking out a clean tree
> from head:

I started with branch, though. It downloaded a bunch of stuff, much more
than I'd expect  from a simple 'cvs update -Pd', especially since my
script updated Sunday early AM and I tried to update to head Sunday
evening, but I didn't log the output...

>   cvs -d ... -q checkout -d gnucash-head gnucash
>

>>$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnucash-head
>>$ make >make.log 2>&1 &
>>$ sudo checkinstall -R
>>and
>>$ /opt/gnucash-head/bin/gnucash &
>>
>>But the splash screen tells me it's gnucash 1.8.4, same as when I start the
>>1.8 branch.
>>
>>Did I do something wrong?
>

> Is 1.8 also installed in /opt/gnucash-1.8?  Or is 1.8 installed in
> /usr or /usr/local?  You might have wanted to run a "make clean"
> before "make", in case you already had stuff in your tree.

I have 1.8 installed in /opt/gnucash-CVS. Plan to put head in
/opt/gnucash-head.

>>Thanks,
>>Tim
>

> -derek

I'll do a clean checkout of head. I plan to run 1.8 branch for real, and
just use head to play/test.

Thanks,
Tim