head vs branch from CVS (was Re: Submitted and fixed bug #119001)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 4 11:58:54 CDT 2003

Tim Wunder <tim at thewunders.org> writes:

> >>OK, how can I verify that I'm running HEAD?
> >>I did the following
> >>$ cp -a gnucash gnucash-head (to copy my copy of the CVS source tree)
> > What branch is your checkout?
>
> I've been maintaining a relatively current 1.8 branch via a cron'd
> script, which (among other things) performs:
> cvs update -C -r gnucash-1-8-branch

Right.  First, if you did a checkout with -r gnucash-1-8-branch then
you do not need to add "-r gnucash-1-8-branch" to your update.  The
branch tag is "sticky" (i.e. it's remembered).

> I started with branch, though. It downloaded a bunch of stuff, much
> more than I'd expect  from a simple 'cvs update -Pd', especially since
> my script updated Sunday early AM and I tried to update to head Sunday
> evening, but I didn't log the output...

unless you ran a "make maintainer-clean" then you probably still have
some 1.8 turds lying around in your build tree.  A clean checkout of
HEAD is probably the best solution.

> I have 1.8 installed in /opt/gnucash-CVS. Plan to put head in
> /opt/gnucash-head.

Ok, then the problem was (most likely) turds in your build tree.

> I'll do a clean checkout of head. I plan to run 1.8 branch for real,
> and just use head to play/test.

Probably the safest thing to do.