Moving help-topics-index.scm

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Mon Aug 4 23:06:15 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 15:43, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > the current situation, which is to display an ugly error message.
> >
> > The gnucash-doc package (upon installation) would then install a real
> > help-topics-index.scm file over that bogus one.
>
> While a good idea in theory, it does not work in practice.  Two
> packages cannot own the same file.  What we COULD do, however, is have
> a special help-topics-index-nofile.scm which we can use if we cannot
> find the gnucash-docs-distributed help-topics-index.scm.
>
> The real problem is that there is not enough state in the html viewer
> to display a real error message when it fails to find a doc.  There is
> not enough information to point the user at a file; there is not
> enough information to even say "cannot find gnucash-docs".  It would
> require rototilling the html apis to fix this, something I was loathe
> to do so close to the 1.8 release when this first came up (yes, I
> looked into providing a better error message).

Yeah, what Derek said. We thought about this but it just wasn't possible
to do in the 1.8 release timeframe.

> > Then we will really have documentation which is independent of the
> > application. :)  In fact, you could even install newer docs without
> > having to reinstall the main app (which is currently not possible).

Well actually you don't need to update the topics file in order to see
the docs, just to skip to the topics/headings. Its entirely possible to
install newer docs with an old topics file. Mind you, when we decided to
go with this I wasn't thinking the topics would change a lot as the docs
were filled in. Oh well, its better than having no one work on them.

The other thing here is, I planned that eventually the docs would be
viewed in the Gnome-2 version of GnuCash through the use of the system
wide 'yelp' help program and drop the independent help browser. How we
hook into this is a subject for future discussion.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit
	| / __> |  cause we are Metallica