[OT] turbocash

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed Aug 6 10:38:39 CDT 2003

Odd.  Just sending this email as FYI.

I was reading my OpenOffice.org mailing list messages today, and someone
asked about accounting software that works with OOo.  One response was
that:

"I have no idea about these formats but you should have a look at
TurboCASH - recently made opensource but a complete working package.
They are only just started on the open source path but very interested
in working with OpenOffice."

So, I googled up some turbocash pages:
http://www.pinksoftware.com/

Where it is claimed that TurboCash has over 15000 users, is the worlds
leading open source accounting package, is published under the GPL, the
sourcecode is not available for download yet, and you must agree to
their "no nonsense" license.

no nonsense license:
http://www.pinksoftware.com/OpenSourceLicence/nononsense.html

...which includes this gem:

"Pink Software (Pty) Ltd grants you, and all members of the public a
licence under the GNU GPL (General Public Licnce) for : The TurboCASH
Installation, the TurboCASH Kernel and certain plugins with Source code.
Click here for a details of the GNUGPL licence.

The TurboCASH EXE is provided as Freeware. The TurboCASH.EXE is not
provided in Source. It contains certain proprietory components. The
TurboCASH Kernel does provide necessary access to modify the
TurboCASH.EXE. We do not want to encourage, forking the code, so in the
interest of Quality we centralise the origin of the TurboCASH EXE."

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil