docs: definition of "fully supported language translation"

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Thu Aug 7 13:03:34 CDT 2003

Christian Stimming wrote:
> Absolutely. However, I would not recommend mentioned "HBCI" in the
> language overview, because nobody (except us and Germans) knows what
> HBCI means. You could rather write something generic like "not counting
> country-specific features". As for the calculation mode I absolutely
> agree -- a translation for Brazilian Portugese is surely completed as
> soon as everything except HBCI has been translated.

Great idea.

"A language translation in GnuCash is considered fully supported when it
has reached greater than 90% translated strings, not counting the
strings from some country-specific features"

Also, I'm going to use the latest .pot file to determine the maximium
possible number of strings to translate.  So, actually, some
translations will get lower % done over time, if they don't keep up to date.

>> I whipped up a perl script to build a "% done" translation table, and
>> I'm thinking to add support for skipping HBCI strings... but I'll only
>> do the work if everyone thinks this definition is valid.
>

> You could count the number of strings that came *only* from the
> import-export/hbci directory and subtract that from the total number of
> strings. However, you should make sure that de.po doesn't end up with a
> percentage larger than 100 :-)

German and (unfortunately) Brazilian Portuguese.  I didn't notice the
"no need to translate outside of Germany" message until I was nearly
finished translating all the HBCI strings.  :)

I plan on running each .po file through a filter that will strip any
msgids that have "hbci" in the comments or msgstr, and make a temp file.
  This temp file then will get run through "msgmerge --statistics".
That way, if you *did* translate some HBCI strings, that won't
artificially boost your % done.

Sound good?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil