Web page proposal

Jeff MacDonald jam at zoidtechnologies.com
Sat Aug 9 10:02:13 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 08:45, Jon Lapham wrote:
> I would like to propose a change to the www.gnucash.org web site
> organization concerning the documentation.  If people like this
> proposal, I would be happy to make the changes myself.
[..snipped..]

> Advantages:
>
> 1) we clearly show what we think is the best documentation for people to
> use.  That is, the latest GnuCash documentation.

good :)

> 2) We *still make available* all forms of documentation.  No judgements,
> every possible documentation concerning GnuCash will be available.

true. but it would be even more available if it was all on the same
page, just grouped, but see below..

> 3) This approach is much more extensible, when GnuCash v1.10 comes out,
> the documentation for v1.8 simply moves into the [other] link. Hell, if
> we have any "older than 1.6 documentation", let's put that on the
> [other] link too.

hmm.. ok, "old" stuff could be on a seperate page if you want.. how
about instead of labelling it "other" you have a couple of links, one
for "older documentation" and one for "external guides" or something.
using "other" seems a little too generic for me, and it isn't
immediately obvious what exactly you mean by "other", so I would have to
click it to find out what is there.

> 4) Left hand column of the web site becomes simpler to navigate, less links.

good.

> 5) We could put a "in development" link on the [other] page, where
> documentation people could put their in development docs.  Kind of like
> what I am doing now with my own web site.

good. as long as it is clearly labelled.

> Disadvantages:
>
> 1) Two clicks to get to documentation other than the current User Guide
> and Help Manual.

as long as it is less than four, IMHO you are fine.

as an example, check out <http://python.org/doc/>.. they have a very
clean interface IMHO.

regards,