docs: definition of "fully supported language translation"

Nikos Charonitakis frolix68 at yahoo.gr
Mon Aug 11 03:15:02 CDT 2003

Στις 08/Αύγ/2003, ημέρα Παρασκευή και ώρα 16:50, ο/η Jon Lapham έγραψε:
> Nikos Charonitakis wrote:
> > Hi all
> > checking the po statistics i see a "Missing Column"
> > checking cvs i realized that el.po contains 2479 messages.
> > Total messages are 2755.
> > How can i bring in missing messages.
> > Note intltool-update el gives error like this:
>  > [snip]
>
> You can do it manually, as shown in section 7 of doc/TRANSLATION_HOWTO:
>
> (note, you may have to first run "autogen.sh" for any of this to work)
>
> ===================================
> 7) Initial processing of the translation file
>
> Before you begin actualy translation work, you should update the
> gnucash.pot file and use this to update your .po file.  This process
> will insure that you have the latest translatable strings.
>
> cd po/
> rm gnucash.pot
> make gnucash.pot
>
> If your language file does not exist, use the gnucash.pot file as a
> template for it:
>
> cp gnucash.pot XXXX.po
>
> If your laguage file does exist, update it using the msgmerge program:
>
> /usr/bin/msgmerge -o XXXX.po XXXX.po gnucash.pot
>
> ===================================
>
> Let me know if this works, or if the instructions could be made clearer,
> or maybe there is better way to do this?

Everything seems easy except running autogen.sh
this stops the whole procedure because it ends with errors.

Please run 'aclocal -I m4' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.5 (or newer) to do this.
Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.

You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

You might also want to copy the convenience header file gettext.h
from the /usr/share/gettext directory into your package.
It is a wrapper around <libintl.h> that implements the configure
--disable-nls
option.

Press Return to acknowledge the previous three paragraphs.

Making ./aclocal.m4 writable ...

*** WARNING ***
*** Ignore any instruction above about running aclocal by hand.
*** I repeat, do not run aclocal by hand.  You have been warned.....

Running intltoolize ...
patching file po/Makefile.in.in
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
Running autoheader...
Note: you can ignore messages about using deprecated aux files
WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':

WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.
configure.in:1265: error: `intl/Makefile' is already registered with
AC_CONFIG_FILES.
autoconf/status.m4:844: AC_CONFIG_FILES is expanded from...
configure.in:1265: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
autoheader: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
**Error**: autoheader failed.