Missing gncGUIDCache table in PG Backend

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 22:39:05 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 20:57, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:49:30PM -0500, Matthew Vanecek was heard to remark:

> They should have always worked, I know I tested them, so I find this
> statement vaguely alarming.  That's what I mean about 'faintest wiff';
> it may be a false alarm, but its an alarm anyways ...
>
> --linas

Well, specifically the book table upgrade was failing due to (I believe)
Postgres becoming a little more ANSI-SQL compliant (that's not a theme
or anything for me, is it!?). NOT NULL constraints are not allowed on
the ADD COLUMN statement in SQL, and thus not in Postgresql (anymore).
The book upgrade used the NOT NULL constraint in the ADD COLUMN clause,
so the upgrade was failing.  Too, nowadays things like glib are a bit
more stable than when the PG backend was first written...

I certainly don't want to do (too much) stepping on toes.  I'm happy to
explain any changes I make, and to correct any mistakes I make.  Last
week I was a little feverish and so didn't proofread my patch as closely
as I should have, but that's not my standard practice.  If I do submit a
change, I try to include an explanation.
I would certainly appreciate an opportunity, however, to defend or
correct any changes you feel are questionable or wrong.  I try to avoid
"programming tricks" in favor of straight-forward coding, and my
priorities are correct operation, maintainability, and performance, in
that order.  So if something I propose seems unclear, please call me on
it...I ain't perfect by no means!! (hmm, where did documentation as a
priority disappear off too....).

--
Matthew Vanecek