GNUCash Financial Contribution

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Thu Aug 14 12:52:41 CDT 2003

Following my recent article, I was recently contacted by Joel Burton who wants
to contribute money to the project.  For the sakes of transparency, and with
his permission I am copying this exchange to gnucash-devel.  Getting us
slashdoted doesn't make me the official representative of the GnuCash
project, so I think this conversation should be open to all contributors.

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 01:59, you wrote:
> Benoit --
>
> I read your open letter re: GNUCash contributions today. And I read a
> lot of the Slashdot responses to it. As often happens when I read
> Slashdot, I got mildly angry at the petulant, whiny attitude, the
> trolling, flaming, and generally crappy signal-to-noise ratio. (And,
> yes, I've considering not reading Slashdot for a while :) )
>
> But I left thinking: I use GNUCash for my invoicing of clients (I'm a
> consultant). I think it's a nice piece of software and you guys deserve
> to have it win. What should I do to help?
>
> I am a programmer, but my C skills are way out of date, and have no
> Scheme skills to speak of. I could write documentation, but it appears
> you already have some end user docs but need someone to help coordinate
> and clean it up, and I don't have time to lead a project to do that,
> unfortunately. Perhaps later this year. We'll see.
>
> I do have some cash, though, and if nothing else works, that often does.
> Would a cash donation help the project? I'm thinking $1,000 USD would be
> appropriate, given my ability to donate and your worth to me.
>
> I was considering contracting GNUCash development time to work on the
> feature I'd most like (SQL storage for the new small business features),
> but I've decided, no, you guys should work on what you think is most
> important. So consider only that I'm offering a +1 for
> yes-I'd-LOVE-to-see-that-feature.
>
> To whom should I send a check/credit card/paypal donation?

Well, let me first say thank you!  This is obviously a very flattering
endorsement for the project.

Now, since you contacted me, here's my take on it:

The GnuCash project doesn't have much direct needs in cash.  There is no
non-profit organization to support, the only real unavoidable expense is the
gnucash.org domain registration.  Having managed volunteer endeavours in
various fields for all my adult life, I know splitting even insignificant
amounts of cash between volunteers always leads to... well unease to be
polite.

If we take that money to split it among important contributors, we would have
to decide who is eligible, and how much each one gets.  I personally strongly
believe we don't want to get into that.  If you really want to donate to
developers, you are free to do so (it has been discussed in the past), but
YOU should decide who get's what.  It's the Christmas card idea, (you send
developer(s) an envelope with a tank you postcard and a small check).

Having said that, and since 1000USD is a sizeable contribution, here's what I
think you can do to really help the project.  The first option is what I
think is best.

Option 1:

Finance a single developer to speed up work on what you want, which is
basically your original idea.  Paying for work to be done in the future is
fair to all, and doesn't require us to assess the "worth" of past
contribution (only to vouch that the chosen developer is competent).  It's
also a good example to give to other potential financial backers.

I spoke to Matthew Vanecek and he is interested.  Other developers have the
skills to do it, but as he is the one currently working on the postgress
rewrite and he does data modeling for a living he seems the logical choice .
I verified that he could promise that it would indeed speed up this part of
the project.  He says that he would definitely devote considerable time to
popping out a viable SQL backend for that price.

I don't think due to the scope of the work and the amount of money involved
that you could really agree on a deliverable, so this would be a good faith,
best effort thing.  Off course the two of you are free to make whatever
agreement you think is appropriate.

Option 2:

-Finance a gnucash developer get-together in Boston.  With 1000$ and planing
in advance we could probably manage to pay the plane tickets of all the
developers in North America  who are not within driving distance of Boston.
Face to face communication would most definitely help in doing some real
design and planing for gnucash, and clarify a lot of obscure areas.  Also,
most of us have never met, and this would no doubt be really fun for all
involved.  If this is what you decide to do, we will need a custodian for the
money.  The logical person is Linas Vepstas.  He's been with the project
almost since the beginning and has become active again lately.

Well, you could help Matthew test what he writes... :)

> Thanks! I think you guys are great.
>
> - j.
>
> P.S. I would consider funding the SQL-storage for small businesses (or
> more likely, given the complexity of that task, contributing to that
> funding) if someone is interested in that. And would also consider
> funding something to help with the distribution issues--I run Mandrake
> 9.1, and did find it damn near impossible to upgrade my GNUCash from the
> version they provided because of all the related requirements.

I use Mandrake for development.  I don't think funding in this area is
necessary.  All we need is someone who maintains a virgin 9.1 system to build
the RPM (mine tend to drift towards cooker).  It may even be me, as I'm about
to install 9.1 on my laptop (and keep it virgin)as there is no point in
having cooker on that machine).  But hey, if you want to finance me to do
that, who am I to complain.

Good night,

P.S.:  For the sake of transparency, do you mind if I also send this message
to gnucash-devel?

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/